I decided on water holidays in general, based on a color scheme I saw on Design Seeds called “color Celebration” which was based on a photograph of glass baubles and ornaments. The pastel wintery colors appealed to me and felt appropriate for any one of a number of my favorite holidays (Christmas, Mardi Gras, Easter). For this project, I decide on New Year’s Day - a day to celebrate new beginnings.
I took the colors in the design seed palette and “smooshed” a background on white card using Distress Paints and water on my craft mat. The background certainly ended up more shabby chic than I intended but, hey, we go with the flow!
I matched various colors of card stock to the palette (many of them, but not all, Bazzill textured stock), cut them to size, textured two with a Fiskars crimper (I had to search for this tool — haven’t used it in AGES!), added some “distress” to some by tearing, using direct-to-paper and/or blending tools; and set about layering on a card base.
I stamped a New Year’s Day stamp on Distress Water Color Paper and painted it with Distress Markers, trimmed it and matted it on dark card stock, sprayed it with Sheer Shimmer spray and added some amethyst rhinestones for more glitter.
The card needed a little “bling” so I sprayed some lace (my nod to frilly) with Distress Spray Stain and attached it with score tape to the card base and popped the New Year’s Day image with glue dots. I wrapped the image with some Kreinik gold braid to simulate streamers. Finally, I stamped a sentiment (“Celebrate”) in Wilted Violet and added a few more rhinestones…
- Stamps: VAP! Birthday Party Premium Stamp Set (RS4875) and PSX F-506, circa 1999
- Inks: Distress Paints “Bundled Sage”, “Tumbled Glass”, “Milled Lavender”, Worn Lipstick”, Dusty Concord” and “Faded Jeans”; Distress Inks “Wilted Violet” and “Worn Lipstick”; Distress Markers “Black Soot”, “Worn Lipstick”, “Mustard Seed”, “Forest Moss” “Walnut Stain”, “Pumice Stone”, and “Festive Berries”; Distress Spray Stain “Wilted Violet”; Archival “Jet Black”; Psst! Sheer Shimmer “Sparkle”
- Papers: Bazzill Monochromatic “Violet” and “Blue”, scrap s of pink and darker blue
- Embellishments: Hobby Lobby Trim; Darice 3mm round rhinestones in Light Amethyst (1893-21); Keinik Fine Braid 002
- Adhesives: Scor-Tape, Glossy Accents; and Pup-up Glue Dots