As I read the challenge, I didn't see the "pops of color" part and decided to go totally monochromatic. Now I have done some monochromatic cards for past Frilly & Funkie challenges, and one or two of them were even neutral (eg. May 13, 2015 "Snap Crackle Crackle" was in browns; June 21, 2017 "With This Ring" and July 19, 2017 "Christmas in July" were in blacks and silvers) but this one gave me trouble from the get-go.
I decided on a black-grey-white-silver color scheme, but I didn't have a card theme --- I decided to just let the card tell me what it was going to be.
My first step was a smooshed Distress Ink background using "Pumice Stone", "Hickory Smoke" and "Black Soot" rubbed on an acrylic block, spritzed with water and then "smooshed" over a cut of Neena Solar White card. A little touch of "Hickory Smoke" and "Black Soot" Distress Oxides blended around the edges finished it off::
Next step was to fussy cut this background so it was only half as big...
Then I had to trim both the floral panel and the background to the same width, and layer them on white card and then on a black greeting card blank, trimmed to size. By now, the "Hickory Smoke" Distress Oxide in the spaces between flowers had dried and had lightened a little TOO much for me so, I went back in with a "Black Soot" Marker" on a few of these spaces so the flowers stood out more and the black edge at the top of the floral panel wasn't as "different" and stark...
I smudged some Distress Crayon "Picket Fence" on the lighter flowers to whiten them even more and added some silver paint to the centers of all the stamped flowers to add some shine:
Products used in the making of this card were:
- Stamps: WOW! “Tropical” (STAMPSET28)
- Inks: Distress Oxides ”Hickory Smoke “ and “Black Soot”; Distress Inks “Hickory Smoke”, “Black Soot”, Pumice Stone” and “Picket Fence”; Distress Markers “Picket Fence” and “Black Soot”; Distress Crayons “Picket Fence:, Marvy Uchida “Liquid Silver”; Versamark
- Papers: Neena Solar white; DMD Greeting Card “black” (GRC01027); scraps of black, gloss black and gloss white
- Embellishments: Prima Flowers “Pura - Alexa” (655350)
- Adhesives: RedLine 1/8” Embossing Tape,; Distress Collage Medium