Charlie and I have been blessed to get to know her. She has invited us to participate on committees, allowed us to watch football games for the past four years from her presidential box in the stadium, and invited us to numerous receptions and events where we got to mix with faculty, politicians and donors. We will miss her and wanted to let her know that so Charlie set me a task: create a thank-you card for her.
I didn't exactly go with a card. Rather, I made a plaque using an Etcetera Tag and some photos of her that Charlie printed for me on his photo printer. I used a tag I had made earlier for a Graphic 45 Challenge as my inspiration and came up with the following:
Here is the back of the tag, layered with Magenta paper and containing the school logo, our portrait and our message to her. I kept to the theme of school colors here (brown and orange), using a range of shades of the colors later in the assembly of the final tag.
First, I added some of the diamond shapes that resulted from the die-cutting to the upper left of the tag.
Second, I attached two photos of the president, both posing with daylilies Charlie had had named for her (Mary Ellen Mazey) and for her dog, Ziggy (the school fight son is "Ay Ziggy Zumba" - even though she is not an alumna of our college, Dr Mazey goes all in with school pride, naming her dog for teh school as well as always being seen waring some shade of orange or brown!)
I die cut leaves and grasses from various patterned and solid papers, all of which had been sprayed with Lindy's Gang Starburst Sprays to add some shimmer and shine.
I layered the leaves and grasses around the photos so that they radiated out from a center point. I covered that center point with another school logo, popped up with foam for dimension.
A burnt orange grosgrain ribbon with faux dark brown stitching was added to the top of the tag.
We will hand deliver this tag to her as a thank-you gift sometime during the holiday season.
- Dies: Sizzix Thinlits "Mixed Media" (660220) and "Fall Foliage" (660955)
- Inks: DIstress Oxide "Fired Brick" and "Walnut Stain"; Lindy's gan Starburst Sprays "Grap a Guy Gold" and "Canna Lily Burnt Orange"
- Papers: Stampers Anonyuos Etcetera Heavyboard "small tag" and reinforcer (THETC003); Magenta 2002 Memories Magenta Style collection "Repeated in Red" (BGROUND-41) and "Snowflakes" (BGrOUND-61); scraps of brown and dark red-orange cardstock; scraps of Scraperdashery "Daffodils" (SC-2908)
- Embellishments: burnt orange grosgrain ribbon with faux stitching
- Adhesives: Ranger Collage Glue Stick; redLine 1/8" Embossing Tape
- Media: Liquitex Acrylic Gesso "white"
P.S. January 5, 2018
Husband decided he wanted to change the photo on the back and add a charm to the front, so the tag now looks like: