Again, I have a back story for this challenge. In June and July of this year, my husband planned to attend the national convention of the American Hemerocallis Society (daylilies for the uninitiated) in Asheville, NC. Since we have friends (ranging from daylily hybridizers to college buddies to former work colleagues) scattered along the East coast from South Carolina through West Virginia, it seemed a good time for a road trip with the convention as the centerpiece. Now I'm not an avid daylily person, and touring daylily farms wasn't high on my list of activities to participate in, but we could manage to fit in a lot of visiting, good food and visits to historic sights as well if we extended this trip to visit all our friends, so I signed on. It wasn't a cheap holiday, but it was an epic one --- nine states in 13 days!
I won't bore you with the details here (For a detailed description, check out my blog posts for June 25, July
2 and July 9) but I did collect ephemera and took photographs along the way, as is my wont. Usually, however, such collections end up in a manila envelope in a box somewhere and that is the end of it. But I decided to use this challenge to create a small souvenir book of that road trip.
Since there was no single technique to be used, the creation of the basic book cover should be pretty self-explanatory. The materials I used were:
- Distress Inks ; Black Soot, Antique Linen and Vintage Photo
- Distressed Embossing Powder - Peeled Paint
- Distressed Markers - Gathered Twigs, Forest Moss, Peeled Paint and Squeezed Marmalade
- Card Stock - Paper Stash 6 x 6 "Menagerie, Lasting Impressions "Gardener's Diary" and Bazil forest green
- Remnant rubs - "Elements"
- Stamp - All-in-One INR-032-7 ("Daylily")
- Adhesives - Matte Medium and redline tape
Tools included the Frameworks "Trellis" and the Distress Marker Spritzer, as well as the usual craft knives, scissors, rulers, paint brushes and craft sticks!
Here is the front cover: