I went with the classic embossed resist, using Versamark Ink and heat embossing clear embossing powder on watercolor paper. I then created my background using the "smoosh" technique of applying Distress Inks: I added inks from five different blue-and-green colors of ink to my largest acrylic block and misted with water. I then "smooshed" the block onto the watercolor paper. I misted the paper, let it sit for a few minutes and blotted it dry, resulting an a pale background. I heated the paper so it was totally dry and then smooshed again, this time with the two darkest colors of my collection of inks and let it dry.. Finally, I "spritzed" the dry paper with clear water and let the droplets sit for a few minute while I fetched my stamps and die-cut machine. The last step was to blot the droplets, leaving little blotches of paler color on the card:
So now to make my tropical sea scene complete.
Back in July, I purchased the Hero Arts "My Hero" kit for July, 2016. It included a stamp and die set of sea creatures. I stamped the large sea turtle from the set in Archival Ink and three sea weeds in Distress Ink "Pine Needles" on grey-green Bazzill card. I also stamped a series of four small sea turtles in "Pine Needles" on a scrap of light blue card to create borders.. I die cut large turtle and the sea weeds and trimmed the borders and the background to fit my pre-folded note card. I then added the sentiment in Archival Ink and some doodles in white pen (to the turtle eye and the sea weed strands) to add some dimension. Final assembly was with double sided tape, multi-matte medium and foam dots.
- Stamps and Dies: Hero Arts "My Hero - July 2016" set
- Inks: Versamark; Archival "Jet Black"; Distress Ink "Blueprint Sketch", "Cracked Pistachio", "Mermaid Lagoon", "Twisted Citron", "Lucky Clover", "Pine Needles"
- Embossing Powder: Creative Beginnings "clear regular"
- Papers: Ranger Watercolor Paper; scraps of medium blue and Bazzill grey-green card; Paper Studio Note Cards "white"
- Adhesives: Vival Las Vegas "Miracle Tape"; Multi Matte Medium; EK Tools 3-D Dots