Under my desk is a carton filled with “stuff”: acrylic books, chipboard books, blank board books, an acrylic bucket, some ideology journal covers, a few wooden plaques, even a small loose-leaf notebook. But none of them struck my fancy. Then I turned around and on the floor next to a stack of paper pads were two Teresa Collins’ “World Traveler” memory album kits. I’m sure they were originally meant for the various photos and ephemera we had accumulated on our cruise to Tahiti but that never happened, and they have been languishing there ever since. Why not repurpose one of them?
I pulled from one kit a journal/album cover, some divider pages, a few loose-leaf “journaling pages” and several packets of ephemera and die-cuts. Since most of these were travel-oriented and I was “repurposing" anyway (purpose yet to be determined), so I returned the die cuts, ephemera and most of the journaling pages to the package and kept out the dividers, a few generic journaling pages and the cover.
My first step was to alter the cover from plain tan to something a little more colorful and textured. First, I used Multi Medium Matte to glue on some tissue wrap:
Products used in the making of this journal cover were:
- Teresa Collins “World Traveler” Memory Album Kit (WT2901)
- Papers: Idea-ology Tissue Wrap “Melange” (TH(3042), Tissue Tape “Laboratorie” (TH93095), Paper Stash “Menagerie” (TH93111) and Remnant Rubs “Words” (TH93055); Chipboard shapes, maker unknown; Technique Tuesday Tiles ”Square Frames” and “Ovals”; scrap green (Frameworks die left-over) and yellow scrapbook papers
- Stencils: Layering Stencils “Flourish” (TH032)
- Inks and media: Versamark; Distress Paints “Bundled Sage”, “Squeezed Lemonade”, “Burnished Brass”, “Picket Fence”; Distress Ink “Old Paper”; Distress Spray Stains “Abandoned Coral”, “Mustard Seed”, “Twisted Citron", Ranger Texture Paste, Liquitex Acrylic Gesso
- Embossing Powder: Stamp’N Stuff “Blushing Pink Pastel”
- Glitters and other embellishments: Stampendous Frontage Glass Glitter (FRGK03 - “Champagne” and “Fresh Green”), Mica (FRMK01 - “Gilded”) and Color Fragments (FRCK01 - “Rosè”); US Art Quest Mini Prills (ANC801); Magic Mesh “Metallics”
- Flowers: Petal Textured Elements “ Mini” (in ivory - 1263200), Floral Embellishments "Velvet Hydrangeas" (in cream - 12772-162), Botanical Collection “Blooms” (in white - 1102100); Prima Flowers “Olivia” (5713133)
- Adhesives: Ranger Multi Medium Matte; Glossy Accents; Martha Stewart Crafts “Glittering Glue”